Sunday, September 25, 2011

soccer practice vs. soccer games

Talk about a lesson in parenting...
Jake just started soccer this year. It has been so fun and frustrating all at the same time.
The team has practices on Wednesday nights. Two Wednesday nights ago was our first practice and he was a rockstar...totally speaking up when talked to...kicking the ball...running ALL over the field...even in circles...He was a wild-man...and I thought, for sure, he would have so much fun come gameday. I was also so proud of Brock who patiently waited so well on the sidelines...and even got to get out there a little too.

Gameday, however, did not go as planned. First off, I had to be out to town and so I could not even be there...ROCKSTAR Joe got all the boys out the door and down to the field, even meeting Mimi, Papi, cousin Clay and Auntie just in time...
Jake was a BUST. He wanted nothing to do with going out on the field. He HATED the uniform shirt (which has THE SAME smell as all of my uniforms growing up), he just hung out on the sideline throwing a fit. Joe was a trooper and was disappointed as any parent would be, but loved on him so well. I am so thankful that Jake has him as a dad.

Then this past week we did well again at practice...but come gameday...we pitched a snot throwing fit...a fit of "I.'m too tired. I'm bi-polar. I don't want to play. I don't want to go home. I don't want to watch the game. I don't, I don't, I don't"
Oh joy!
What a lesson in parenting. Not sure YET what exactly it might be...but we are learning as we go. Jake seems to grow into things...just like gymnastics this summer...but by the end of the summer he was scaling everything and so pumped to go. I hope that this might turn out the same way only because I know he would have a great time running around out there, and nothing more. In the meantime, we get to enjoy some "laughs" as parents on the sidelines when our child actually DOES make it out on the field and decides to just lay down and cry...capturing attention of another kid who decides to "join in" on the fun.

Thank you to all his sweet supporters...even driving all the way up to the WAY too early games. Better luck next week?!?


No comments:

Post a Comment